Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Girl Drama

I'm at a new school this year, but the drama remains the same. In other words, I constantly find that my services are needed in helping girls get along. Don't get me wrong, boys bicker in middle school, too--usually over a girl, or because a couple of "yo mama" jokes goes a little too far. I call the boys in the office, they hash it out, and the next day everything is usually cool.

Girls are COMPLETELY different. They argue about anything: boys, rumors, even having the same wardrobe (the last one is actually way more popular than you would expect). I call them in my office, they hash it out, and the next day everything is usually cool--until the day after that.

Girls are a bit more stubborn than boys (and I can say this because not only am I a girl, but I'm also a Taurus). In other words, they just don't know how to let things go. They can pretend that everything is fine, but as soon as they leave my office, they'll go tell their friends everything that went down. In turn, their friends will continue to instigate and create new reasons for the girls to stay mad at each other.

One method that I have used to try to prevent "girl drama" is to create a Sisterhood group. Whenever girls are mad at each other, jealousy is always involved. Jealous that a girl has a cute new hairstyle, jealous that a girl has more friends, jealous that a girl gets attention from a lot of boys. All females have fallen victim to jealousy at some point in their lives. It is the goal of the Sisterhood group to express this jealousy in a polite manner. We talk about our feelings; we learn how to compliment each other; most importantly, we talk about self-esteem. Whenever females feel the need to lash out at other females, it's generally because they don't like themselves that day.

So, the best way to prevent girl drama from happening is to ensure that females have positive female mentors. Ladies, please try not to talk about your weight in front of younger girls, and definitely try not to be disrespectful to other females in their presence. Jealousy is usually a learned behavior. When we as older females can start loving ourselves, our future generation can do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment