Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Trust

Okay, instead of offering insight, I think I may need some myself this time. Let's say that your principal assigns you to select a group of students to complete a task. This task allows them to miss a a class or two. Now, let's say that you decide to pick students who are not overly involved with many activities. In other words, these are the students that usually fly under the radar, and when they are not under the radar, they're getting in trouble.

Now, let's say that you tell these students beforehand that they were chosen out of the WHOLE SCHOOL to complete this duty, and that you (despite what others may tell them), actually trust them to complete this task with no problems at all.

Finally, their task is done, you sign their passes to return to class and...they roam the hall instead. NO! This is by far my worst nightmare. I like to show all students the same amount of positive attention. I don't care if they've made mistakes in the past, or if former teachers warn me about them. I truly believe students will never change for the better with negative reinforcement. That's why I'm a strong advocate in showing ALL students that I believe in them. I must say, though, that it does sting a little when the students that you give a chance prove their naysayers right.

I may complain about this now, but I know that my attitude won't change. I think it's fine to let kids know when they have disappointed you, but then it's time to let it go. If everyone that we've disappointed before continued to hold grudges against us, I'm sure that it would take an extra effort just to get out of bed in the morning. That's exactly how some kids feel about coming to school. Why show up to a place where everyone thinks I'll mess up?

Hey, I guess I did just offer insight--and I've actually helped reevaluate my thinking on the scenario that I mentioned above. :)

2 comments:

  1. I think you have posed an interesting topic. Sometimes I feel as if I am the only person who likes to give kids a second, third, or sometimes fourth chance. I had a student last year who was 16 years old in the 8th grade. This student and myself had a run in the previous year and I was a little nervous that we were not going to get along. However, I did not want to hold a grudge against the student. I realized that this student was just one of those kids who wants to, no, needs to know that there are people pulling for him. A simple "Hey, I missed you yesterday. I needed your insight in our conversation on campaign finance," will make these students feel like someone cares if they show up. I whole-heartedly agree with your thoughts above and I hope others do as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I can feel the passion in your words!! I also believe in giving students the chance to prove they can "Do The Right Thing." It is hard to get away from one or two mishaps in your past. But you know what they say; Dog bites you once, shame on the dog. Dog bites you twice, shame on you. Be careful and maybe think twice, just as you would have them think twice before making a decision to trust.

    ReplyDelete